Anthers, Easter, Stormy, Bunka, Scarlett

tiny_succulent_flowers

The buds on the recently-noted succulent flower open out into pretty minimalist flowers, but look at all those tiny anthers! Nothing says Spring like pollen :)

easter

Of course, tiny Easter baskets. Undelivered because of a sudden plague at granddaughter’s house (resolved now).

stormy_cats

My husband was biz traveling for a long week, and we’re all very glad to have him back.

bunka_041717

I scored a one-gallon ziplock bag stuffed full of gorgeous, pristine (though moderately tangled) bunka for $5 at one of our local thrift stores. I’m not entirely sure of the implications. The colors are spectacular, and it untangles surprisingly easily. Fascinating stuff.

one_leg_041717

At ten months old, Scarlett has mellowed considerably. She spends a lot of time outside exploring and “helping” me garden, and is still incredibly needy demonstrative with her affections and vocal interactions. I texted this pic to my daughter today with the caption, “So sad. My cat only has one leg.”

12 thoughts on “Anthers, Easter, Stormy, Bunka, Scarlett

1. pepper says:

I was convinced the Storm Troopers had a soft side! If they’re cat people, they’re good people in my book :0D

• Nancy Enge says:

Per Keli’s suggestion, I’ve been reading “Word By Word” by Kory Stamper, and am so receiving Merriam-Webster’s Word of The Day newsletter. Today: grimalkin. Tomorrow: tatterdemalion. I swoon.

2. Sheila says:

Love how the cats are climbing over the Storm Trooper. Living proof that cats are the supreme rulers and are happy to prove it to anyone.

I’m guessing that calming down doesn’t mean leaving the miniatures alone entirely.

• Nancy Enge says:

Glad you get it, Sheila. Scarlett is currently much more interested in the wide world outside, but I don’t believe she’ll ever leave anything alone ever. I had set the tiny Easter baskets out on the kitchen table, ready to pack up, where they sat for a day when the plague announcement came through. Scarlett expertly fished the special beach rocks out of each basket. without upsetting the others, to knock around on the floor. With great enthusiasm.

3. elizabeth s says:

Each single photo tells a complete story in itself. I love the colorful tangled strands of the bunka and Stormy being cat attacked. The Easter baskets look like the miniature ones you make so Beautifully only BIGGER. The intense chartreuse of the succulents is Stunning, while the sleeping Scarlett is demo-ing the motto: “Keep calm and Carry on”

• Nancy Enge says:

The bunka! It really is amazing. I’ve been researching its history — surprisingly recent! Not like I needed a new project, but I have to review my punch needles to see if what I have will work with this thread… The colors really are gorgeous.
      The Easter baskets are the 1:12 scale kits :)
      Scarlett is the master of the 30 minute power nap… although it was raining that day, and it might have been 45 minutes. Or six hours :)

4. Nancy Bristow says:

That new lens of yours is phenomenal. Exactly what succulent bloomed for you? I’m not sure I’ve ever had a succulent bloom for me. Was it something I said? :)

I do enjoy your humor…one legged cat, indeed. *grin*

I’m amazed…you actually found packaged Ghirardelli candy that fit in your miniature baskets?

• Nancy Enge says:

It’s hard to know exactly what succulents I have. They are all cuttings, gifts or collected rescues from neighborhood walks. The one pictured is possibly an echeveria “Black Prince” or a sempervivum “Pacific Devils’s Food“. Growing year-round as they do here, flowering is common. These particular ones are growing on the shadier side of my wee back yard, so have grown leggy and sculptural. I’ve only lived in this house not quite three years, so I’m still learning.
      I’m glad you get my humor, too. I figure if you have to explain it, it’s not funny? Story of my life :)
      The (delicious) Ghirardelli bunnies fit perfectly in the baskets; I was so happy! Ghirardelli chocolates are/were once a local San Francisco thing https://www.ghirardelli.com/san-francisco-heritage so not so surprising. These particular ones were milk chocolate and caramel :)