I finished planking the Sea House Pavilion front entry remodel — though there are still stain touchups to do. This build is very different in that components will remain modular, to facilitate access and photography, rather than be a single, connected structure.
Inside walls are stained antique white. The main living area ceiling is in, as a result of building out the sleeping loft — bead-board paneling, stained the same antique white. (here barely seen, as IRL).
Here you can glimpse the original Pavilion ceiling, now lifted to accommodate the sleeping loft.
A view of the sleeping loft addition, and a roughed-in kitchen wing and shower stall (fireplace removed.)
After much deliberation, I decided on varnished cork for the sleeping loft floor. The loft occupies three bays. Many decisions remain, especially since I’m thinking ‘nest’ rather than traditional bedding. Think ‘sleeping in a pile’ (my favorite!) and Where The Wild Things Are. Because post-sea-level-rise living will probably benefit from that.
I made my first-ever ELF Miniatures order, for this kitchen trolley kit, as well as an under-counter sink and 2-burner stovetop surface for the kitchen wing. I am smitten.
The kitchen wing occupies two bays, and will have a countertop with sink, prep area and the two-burner electric stove (powered by rooftop solar panels.) There’ll be non-opening cupboards below, and an under-counter refrigerator. Two walls are paneled in horizontal bead-board, to which there will be shelves attached; the third wall is papered in the same vintage San Francisco map as the ceiling. The window is made from this weird thick glass disc, a bag of which I found in the crap/craft store.
Moving on to greenhouse hydroponics. I did a bunch of research to arrive at an aggregate vision of what a system might look like on an off-the-grid tiny home scale. The grow vats are restaurant jam tubs. I made some wonderful Georgie Steeds lettuce and cabbage kits, and from there worked out optimum growing layouts. I fiddled with the vat top layouts, and used the Cricut machine to cut the final patterns.
I noticed many hydroponic systems had these sort of “grow rings” around the cutouts, and they appealed to my graphic sensibility, so I laboriously added them to the system. They can barely be seen beneath the lush growth, but we and the devas know they are there.
To the greenhouse I added some rails and slats to support the grow vats. I’m currently experimenting with wire and shrink tubing to evoke a water and nutrient circulation system. One of the challenges is keeping each of the wings modular, yet connected as a whole. In that the greenhouse and kitchen wings need to connect to the solar panels and water collection systems located on the pavilion roof and aft deck. As do the roof gutters need to funnel rainwater into the cisterns located under the pavilion. And so on.
I leave you with a view of Georgie Steeds’ Nasturtium kit. It’s just barely finished, plonked in a Braxton Payne pot and glop-waxed to the bench. I love nasturtiums; they’re ubiquitous in a NorCal garden. I’d very much like to twine these throughout the greenhouse wing, while also keeping it detachable. We’ll see.